Thursday, September 22, 2016

Praying Blessings Into Your Children/Grandchildren IT WORKS!

A grandmother, a mentor, a best friend...a forever gift to me!

Today is my grandmother's 90th birthday. My sweet Meemaw means so much to me.  Her sweet spirit still in tact, but her mind robbed from Dementia. It stinks. But I will tell you she always said IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS! So I will! Especially today!

On this birthday...I want to share why she was so much to me:

She taught us valuable lessons from her walk of FAITH: She always said ‘more lessons are caught than taught’. And she made a point to teach by her actions. As grandchildren we had complete adoration for her as she hung the moon for us! And her examples and teachings are forever ingrained in my heart.

She led by actions and loved by serving: Despite her suffering from Dementia, today I see this as a celebration of 90 years of one of my life’s greatest gifts, Meemaw! She is so much more than just a grandmother. She truly is a role model to all of her children and her grandchildren. She defines Christianity by actions not words. She loves God with all her heart, soul, and mind and devoted her whole life to worshiping, serving, praying and loving others. She loved to cook and was good at it too! Serving and cooking = her DNA. 

She gave thanks: So back to "giving thanks". I grew up being frequently reminded to give thanks in all things (1 Thes 5:16-18) despite any hardship or grunting I was sharing with her at the time. She stood firm on this and she had this on her heart always. The day my grandfather had his stroke some may have called her crazy for this but she gave thanks to God before she called 911 (1 Thes 5:18)…I knew she wasn’t crazy  ;-) I called that moment the ultimate Proverbs 31 Woman.  By habit she praised HIM in ALL things as called to do! Her true test and she rejoiced, even thought it was one of her life’s greatest heartbreaks. Most all will tell you who know Meemaw, joy radiated through her wherever she went and it was often contagious.

 
Meemaw at her 90th birthday celebration recently

Meemaw’s favorite verse: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

She radiated peace and joy of God in her heart: I never really REALLY understood her joy until recently. I always thought she just exercised great faith and as a result she was able to accept what happened with peace. While that holds true, recent revelation has forever changed me and inspired me to be more like her! Upon reading about the disciples for Jesus and their martyr deaths, I was shocked by how horrible their persecutions were. I couldn’t help but think, ‘ how could God let them die like this when He has the ultimate authority to change or do anything?' It was then He laid upon my heart as I continued to read…the disciples died (horrible deaths) and it was documented that in their joy/peace despite their circumstances and pain…many people THEN came to believe that Jesus was the true Messiah.…and then I knew….Meemaw was called to show joy in the midst of suffering. She did it with a full obedient heart. 
  • On her hard days, she rejoiced
  • On her sad days, she gave thanks
  • Every drive to see my grandfather at the Veteran's home she praised all the way up there and then walked in smiling and greeting the staff with her homemade cheese biscuits
  • She claimed His promises even when she didn’t understand (She always said God is to good to be unkind, to wise to make a mistake, and when you cannot trace His hand you can always trust His heart)
  • She showed that having the peace of God in your heart would truly be enough
I didn’t see what God did at the time, but He was using His faithful servant to reach more people than I will ever know. There isn’t a doubt in my mind; so many seeds were being planted in the lives of those who surrounded her wherever she went! My gosh, I can only imagine the words our heavenly Father will say to her, ‘well done my good and faithful servant...' 

Why I adore her: So on this day. I look at this woman, 90 years young, who celebrated every day of her life loving God, traveling this world as a missionary to let others know how wonderful He had been to her, and praying without ceasing for her children and her family. She prayed diligently. She believed ALL THINGS WERE POSSIBLE because that’s the promise He gave us. Since I was a child she often reminded me how faithful God was to her when she prayed for each of her children (in her womb) and for their spouses, and I see the fruit of that through looking at my mom, Aunt Tonni and Uncle John. She was faithful to pray for her grandchildren always and I again see the fruits of that now in my own walk. They did not happen by accident. Seeds planted, seeds harvested. So I sit here so thankful in knowing how to pray for my own children, their spouses, their gifts, their walks with Him, and their hearts....

Happy birthday my sweet Meemaw! I love you so much!!!!


Mark 9:23
"What do you mean, 'If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes."

No comments:

Post a Comment